Tuesday, September 9, 2008

journaling

Lines, scribbles, and drawings are the first steps of the writing process. You can help young children develop these writing skills through journaling. I started it this week with my son and daughter even though they are not yet writing letters. But they feel they are "writing" stories through journaling. I let them draw and/or scribble and talk to them about what they are doing. This is great for communication skills also! My husband has come home from work the past two days and looked at their journals first thing. They are thrilled to share and he loves knowing what they were drawing at the time (since I have written out their "stories" below or beside the pictures).
This is an inexpensive but wonderful thing to do with your kids. I bet it will be a favorite learning/sharing activity in your house. It is in ours!

Materials:
3 ring binder
journaling paper, very easy to make or find templates on line. I used activity village.
crayons
pencil


I let them decorate the cover to get them excited about the journal.


Here is one of Z's first entries.

This is Lightning McQueen. He has black wheels.

No comments: